Balboa Park in Facts and Figures
Here are the facts and figures about Balboa Park in San
Diego, which is bigger than New York's Central Park and contains 19 gardens, 17
museums and 14 restaurants.
Balboa Park is bigger than New York’s Central Park! Central
Park covers 832 acres but Balboa Park eclipses that at 1200 acres. In 2018 it celebrates its 150th birthday.
19 unique and diverse
- The 1935 Old Cactus Garden that contains come of the largest
cactus and specimens in the park.
- The Botanical Building and Lily pond that is one of the most
photographed scenes in Balboa park. The historic building houses plantings
including orchid displays, cycads and palms and a scratch-and-sniff garden.
- The Zoro Garden is a sunken stone grotto now home to many
species of butterfly. Containing both
the larvae and nectar plants needed for to complete the life cycle of the
butterflies, the garden also includes miniature indentations built into rocks
that collect small pools of water for monarch, sulfur, and swallowtail
butterflies that can all be spotted.
- The Japanese Friendship Garden is an expression of the
relationship between San Diego and its sister city, Yohohama. The garden
illustrates two cultures and creates an immersive experience in Japanese
culture across a 12-acre plot. Educational programs, exhibits and festivals are
often held here.
Botanical Building, Photo Courtesy of Bob Yarbrough
17 museums including
- San Diego Museum of Man is home to a number of interactive diverse exhibits that cover a vast range of human history and culture. Guided tours of the iconic Californian tower are offered daily, with sunset tours offering a picturesque view of the park and beyond.
- Centro Cultural de la Raza is a fascinating cultural arts centre dedicated to creating, promoting, preserving and educating visitors about Chicano, Mexican, Indigenous and Latino art and culture. Housed in a former water tower, the museum is exquisitely painted with colourful murals and features rotating exhibits and performances including theatre, dance, music, and film.
- San Diego’s Air and Space Museum Science holds exhibitions and historic artefacts spanning space and aviation history from all over the world. A working flying replica of Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis and the actual Apollo 9 Command Module spacecraft are on display including artefacts from the Wright Brothers, Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.
Museum of Art
14 diverse restaurants including
- The Flying Squirrel located at The San Diego Natural History Museum, is a new café that serves brewed-to-order espresso drinks, fresh juices, wine, craft beer, and California casual fare in the comfort in the Museum’s four-story, sky-lit atrium.
- The Prado is an award-winning, full-service restaurant located in the House of Hospitality. The unique décor blends the historical aspects of the House of Hospitality and whimsical accessories inspired by the Park museum collections.
- The Tea pavilion at the Japanese Friendship Garden serves traditional Japanese green tea, herbal and specialty teas as well as sushi, Japanese noodles, rice bowls, miso soup, salads and snacks. Visitors can enjoy the magnificent views from the outdoor courtyard and deck.
Photo Courtesy of Joanne DiBona/SanDiego.org
9 performing arts centres including
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion holds free concerts for an hour, every Sunday from 2pm. The unique organ contains more than 5,000 pipes ranging in length from the size of a pencil to 32 feet and is the largest outdoor pipe organ in the world.
- Marie Hitchcock Puppet Theatre, founded in 1948, is the longest continuous running puppet theatre in the United States. Puppet performances are presented throughout the year by a variety of troupes, with approximately 45 shows a year and different shows each week.
Balboa Park also offers 6 diverse walking tours exploring history, the gardens, architecture and one golf course. Balboa Park Golf Course is a challenging par 72, however, offers amazing views of San Diego, Balboa Park, Point Loma and the Pacific Ocean.
The information above
is only a small part of what there is to see and do in Balboa Park. The Balboa
Park Visitor Center can provide full up-to-date information, and can be found in
the House of Hospitality on the plaza in the very center of the park at 1549 El
Prado (tel: 619-239-0512; www.balboapark.org).
Feb 01, 19 04:24 PM
San Clemente in California is a small city on the Pacific Coast Highway midway between San Diego and Los Angeles, noted for its beaches, surfing, and Spanish colonial-style architecture.
Jan 21, 19 05:19 PM
If you’re looking for good Gold Beach Oregon lodging check out the Tu Tu Tun Lodge a few miles inland along the Rogue River, not far from the Pacific Coast Highway on the Southern Oregon coast.
Jan 21, 19 04:48 PM
Gold Beach is a small town on the Oregon coast at the mouth of the Rogue River with the Pacific Coast Highway, Highway 101, here called the Oregon Coast Highway, running right through it.